2014/08/21

Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I sucked in the words on every page. Wouldn't have minded if there had been more.
If you haven't heard of this piece, then I wonder where you've been in the past year(s). The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is one of only few books I would consider an essential piece to read as a teenager - and even as a parent.

The narrative perspective gives the reader easy access to Charlie's mind and you can instantly connect with him. This strong connection might have been the reason why I felt upset and restless for a while after finishing this book. It left me wordless (No, I did not want to say "Speechless" because I didn't feel like talking afterwards). And I don't think I can capture what this book does now, months after I first read it. It's unbelievable.
But I'll try.

Charlie's a freshman who's been traumatized in his early childhood. The marks this has left shaped his mind, his thinking, his view on people and life and he has trouble connecting to others. I don't want to take away anymore of the plot, so that is it.
What I want to say though...When it finally occurs to you what happened to him, you'll feel like a rock has hit you. Sit down. And breathe.
The reason why it has hit me like a rock simply is the closeness to reality this few pages manage to create. Charlie could be anyone.

I also love the book because it's not about growing up and the first world problems of a teenager, it's deeper than that. It's about growing up and the problems of a teenager with a mental sickness. And I think mental sicknesses are what people love to ignore since they don't understand. They don't understand because they pretend mental sicknesses are nothing compared to physical sicknesses like cancer or else. While in fact some mental illnesses I'd even call worse.

I won't start rambling now, go and see for yourself why this book is a masterpiece in my eyes.
It gets a gazillion/10 from me.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen