2014/12/17

Blogmas Day #17: Inspire: Introducing: Humans Of New York

 As a matter of fact, I mostly take sceneric pictures, capture landscapes, architecture, occasionally animals, nevertheless rarely people. The photographer Brandon has started in 2010 to not only take pictures of a person, but also let them answer a rather personal question. I find it fascinating how interesting such little things can be. It shows how there's a story behind everyone's life. Have some of my favourite examples here:
"I once crash landed a plane in a desert in Tunisia. I wasn’t even the pilot. The pilot got hysterical and I had to grab the controls."
“We met on a dating site. My username was ‘JeffFromBrooklyn’ and his was ‘Philodemus’— which is the name of a 1st century philosopher or something. But what I noticed most was the part where he listed the films that he loved. Not only did he list great films, but he also chose specific scenes. He wrote things like: ‘In Casablanca, the look in Ingrid’s eyes when she sees Humphrey Bogart.’ Or ‘In Crimes and Misdemeanors, the desperation on Angelica Houston’s face when she knows the relationship is slipping through her fingers.’ As I read through the list, I noticed that each of the scenes he chose had something to do with intense love.”
"I teach photography to kids in the Bronx. I try to emphasize the importance of not overthinking your work. If something makes you curious, shoot it. If something makes you feel an emotion, shoot it. I don’t ever want them to doubt themselves, so I tell them to be spontaneous and not worry about making mistakes. But truthfully, I’ve never been able to work that way."
"I’m about to go to work. I’m an emergency room doctor and I work the 10 PM to 8 AM shift."
"What’s been your proudest moment as a doctor?"
"Probably just the moment when I finally felt comfortable— it took about three years, and one day it just kinda clicked. Starting a shift in the emergency room is like the feeling before a giant battle in a movie like Braveheart or Lord of the Rings. You just have no idea what’s going to come through the door. Sometimes five serious cases can come in at the exact same time, and you have a lot of decisions to make, and you have to know exactly how long each procedure takes, and what can wait, and what can’t. I think my proudest moment was when I finally stopped feeling nervous, because I’d reached a level of experience where I could make the correct decisions without thinking about them.”
"This is my neighbor. She only speaks Mandarin, so we’ve never had a conversation. But she’s brought me a handful of candy every day for 20 years."
"I’m five!"
"Does it feel any different than four?"
"It feels less smaller."
"What are the flowers for?"
"We woke up at 5 AM today. So we’re saying ‘sorry.’"
For more, definitely go and check out Brandon's official site!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen