2014/12/02

Blogmas Day #2: Review: If I Stay

Everyone, prepare yourselves for a post full of admiration and excitement and eventually even drama. Because I feel like I'll become very emotional in a bit.
Let's start with the book. I've read Gale Forman's novel about a year ago and found it amazing because it was very touching and not overdone at all.Searching Pinterest for some illustrations I could use in this post, I spotted the cover of the sequel to If I Stay, called Where She Went. Guess which book just magically flew on my Amazon wishlist.

"If you stay, I'll do whatever you want. I'll quit the band, go with you to New York. But if you need me to go away, I'll do that, too. Maybe coming back to your old life would just be too painful, maybe it'd be easier for you to erase us. And that would suck, but I'd do it. I can lose you like that if I don't lose you today. I'll let you go, if you stay." - Adam.Favourite quote from the movie.

I'm usually not the biggest fan of books with a happy ending thus bad happenings during the plot. In the book, Mia's family has a car accident and she's the only one to survive, trying to figure out whether to fight or let go of life. Fight for Adam, the love of her life, fight for her love of music, maybe even fight for life itself? (That's all I remember from the book without revealing too much, sadly. I'll read it once more some time.)
What I loved about the movie so much were the two storylines - the one in the present time tells us about the car accident and Mia's stay in the hospital, the one in the past about Alex's significance to her and how they fell in love. They are absolutely adorable together. I was crying my eyes out before the last thirty minutes of the movie even began, so that means a lot already. I liked how even the focus was - Mia's relationship with Adam weighed as much as her relationship to her family, the loss of them and her own struggle.


It's not a simple love story, it's a story about life. About how short it is, how fast it can be over. How precious every moment is and how there's always something to fight for no matter how dark the night might be. It also was the first movie in which I didn't get solely envious of Mia's and Adam's relationship, of how perfect they were together, because they also had their ups and downs. They weren't the average highschool couple everyone dreams about. Adam had his band, Mia had her music and the application to Juilliard, the uncertainity of their future together dragged their relationship on the brink more than once. I only thought that maybe, maybe one day I'll find someone similar to Adam. Someone I want to be with no matter what, how the odds are, how challenging staying together might be. Excuse me for my soppiness, but I honestly do believe in that kind of love.
Source
Wrapping it up, I am totally content and convinced of the book and the movie. I feel like Chloe Grace Moretz and Jamie Blackley fit perfectly into their roles. Honestly, I can't think of one detail I would criticize.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen